As the prevalence of chronic disease continues to rise, opportunities for pharmacists to be compensated for their interventions in the area of chronic disease, from both the private and public sector continue to become available across the country. Pharmacists are uniquely positioned to provide services that support positive patient outcomes in Asthma and COPD, due to their knowledge, skills and accessibility. Pharmacist consultations that include medication management services along with coaching and support for lifestyle modifications have resulted in significant benefit to their patients. As a pre-requisite, pharmacists will be required to complete a module on Behavioural Change Counselling, to support their role in motivational coaching and lifestyle modifications. A module on the Care Plan Process will also be required. It will provide guidance and support with respect to the process flow, documentation and follow-up in the provision of these services. These pre-requisites are included with purchase of this course.
• Provide evidence based patient education regarding the management of Asthma and COPD including, pharmacological and non-pharmacological management of COPD.
• Counsel patients regarding the appropriate use of inhalation devices.
• Utilize Asthma and COPD assessment tools to communicate with, and assess the patient. Collaborate with the patient’s health care providers where appropriate.
• Create Asthma and COPD Action Plans, and establish health goals to monitor as part of an overall patient care plan.
• Identify resources to provide ongoing support to disease management for COPD.
Accreditation: 4.5 CEU (Expiring April 4th, 2022), Accredited by Dalhousie Continuing Pharmacy Education
Module 1: Asthma
· Pathophysiology and Epidemiology of Asthma
· Guidelines for the Management of Asthma
· Treatment Options for Asthma
· Asthma Action Plans
· Immunization Recommendations for Patients with Asthma
· Tools and Resources for Asthma Management
· Case Study
Module 2: COPD
· Meet Our Patients
· COPD – Pathophysiology, Epidemiology and Impact on Canadians
· Diagnosis and Assessment of COPD
· Treatment Options for COPD
· Action Plans for COPD
· Management of Stable COPD and Acute Exacerbations of COPD
· Comparison of Inhalation Devices
· Tools and Resources for COPD Management
Assessment: For successful completion of each course, a multiple choice exam will be required at the end of the module. The pass mark is 70% and learners will have 2 attempts.
System Requirements: online learning environment compatible with MAC, PC and tablets. You will require speakers and a video player for some content.
Author and Presenter: Glenn Rodrigues, Bsc. Pharm