This continuing education program has been developed as a collaboration between the Pharmacy Association of Nova Scotia and the College of Pharmacy, Dalhousie University. It will include both an online component as well as a *NEW* virtual live session. Accreditation for the program will be for 5.5 CEU. A certificate will be provided upon completion of the online module (3.0 CEUs) and a new virtual version of the previously live event (2.5 CEUs).
The author and presenter for this program is Dr. Anne Marie Whelan BSc (Pharm), PharmD, FCSHP, Professor and Associate Director, Program Evaluation, College of Pharmacy, Dalhousie University.
The module portion of the program, will include:
- Pharmacist provision of hormonal contraceptioTn: a practical approach.
- Rationale for pharmacist prescribing of hormonal contraceptives.
- Anatomy and physiology of the female reproductive system.
- Progestin-only contraceptives (oral and injectable dosage forms)
- Combined hormonal contraceptive methods (oral, transdermal and vaginal dosage forms)
- Hormonal emergency contraceptive methods
Upon completion of the online program, learners will compete a multiple choice quiz with 30 questions. The pass mark will be 70% and learners will have up to 3 attempts.
The *NEW* Virtual Live Event portion will encompass interactive activities surrounding practical aspects of incorporating this into practice. It will include:
- A panel discussion on topics including age of consent; suspected/actual child abuse/sexual violence and duty to report
- Panel members include nurse practitioners currently prescribing hormonal contraceptives, and individuals with expertise in sexual abuse.
- Interactive activities designed to apply knowledge; navigate websites/apps; practice and develop communication skills.