Healthcare professionals identifying patients who meet the referral criteria are encouraged to email COVIDTreatment@nshealth.ca. Practitioners caring for inpatients or outpatients with non-severe COVID-19 prescribed remdesivir, sotrovimab or nirmatrelvir/ritonavir (Paxlovid) are encouraged to call 1-833-714-2784 between 9 am and 5 pm, 7 days a week to ask medication or drug interaction questions. Please note this line is intended for health professionals and should not be shared with patients. Click here for further details.
- Dr. Lisa Barrett
- Dr. Paul Bonnar
- Dr. Ian Davis
- Dr. Melanie DiQuinzio
- Dr. Ahmed Ghaly
- Dr. Todd Hatchette
- Dr. Jessica (Mariah) Hughes
- Dr. Shelly McNeil
- Dr. Brian Moses
- Randa Ataya
- Emily Black
- Allison Callaghan
- Lauren Campbell
- Hannah Corney
- Shelby Currie
- Ellen Dawson
- Marci Dearing
- Mackenzie Dentremont-Harris
- Dylan DeYoung
- Stephanie Farnham
- Melissa Fraser
- Angus Gibson
- Lisa Grandy Allen
- Kent Hayes
- Audrey Joudrie
- Gali Latariya
- Mia Losier
- Erin MacNeil
- Katherine Merrick
- William Nevers
- Lisa Nodwell
- Thomas Parker
- Emilie Pelletier
- Sophie Peltekian
- Jennifer Poirier
- Emma Reid
- Samantha Scott
- Susan Smith
- Alexandra Smithers
- Jennifer Turple
- Tiffany Tozer-MacMillan
- Pauline Tran-Roop
- Gina Vaninetti
- Alyssa van Rossum
Nirmatrelvir/ritonavir (Paxlovid) General Resources:
- COVID-19 Non-Severe Therapy Pharmacist Consult Service Memo
- NS Health COVID-19 Medication Recommendations
- Non-severe COVID-19 Treatment Overview
- Firstline early treatment algorithm
- Mild COVID-19 symptoms? Report and support online screening tool
- Healthcare Professional Overview
- MSSU Summary
- Patient Information Sheet English
- Patient Information Sheet French
- Paxlovid™ (nirmatrelvir/ritonavir) Checklist
- Eligibility Criteria
- Sotrovimab Differential Benefit Algorithm
- NSH Nirmatrelvir/ritonavir (Paxlovid) Guidance and Direction for Patients Document
- Guide for Using Paxlovid in Patients on DOACs
Nirmatrelvir/ritonavir (Paxlovid) Interaction Resources
- NS Health Nirmatrelvir/Ritonavir (Paxlovid®) Drug Interaction Assessment Tool
- University of Liverpool
- NIH Statement on Drug-Drug Interactions
- University of Michigan Management of Paxlovid Drug-Drug interactions
- CMAJ: 5 things to know about Nirmatrelvir-ritonavir for COVID-19
- Ontario Science Table Drug Interaction Overview
- BC COVID THERAPEUTICS COMMITTEE: Drug-Drug Interactions and Contraindications
- Manitoba Paxlovid Drug Interaction Overview
Additional Resources for Pharmacies
- Pharmacist Assessment Protocol
- Use of inhaled budesonide for non-severy covid-19 cough
- Pharmacare Billing Details Note: PIN for Delivery for patients without a NS Healthcard is: 93899828
- University of Liverpool - Covid-19 Drug Interaction Check
- Nova Scotia Report and Support - Covid Positive Rapid Tests - All positives should report to ensure they are screened for high risk
- Slides - Webinar January 24th, 2022 - Tasha Ramsey
- Slides- Webinar January 24th, 2022- NSCP
- Slides - Webinar January 24th, 2022- PANS
- To view the webinar recording, register here: https://pans.ns.ca/pharmacy-professionals/professional-development/onlin...
* Inpatient order set/outpatient prescription (sent by email to participating sites only as reference due to security of document- if required, email email@example.com)
- Evusheld PREP Assessment Criteria
- Medication Summary - Tixagevimab and Cilgavimab (Evusheld)
- Tixagevimab/Cilgavimab (Evusheld) Patient Information
- Tixagevimab/Cilgavimab (Evusheld) Patient Information (French)
- Tixagevimab and Cilgavimab (Evusheld) What HCPs Need to Know
- Tixagevimab and Cilgavimab (Evusheld) Infographic Preparation and Administration Sheet
How are individuals with COVID-19 referred and assessed for Paxlovid™ (nirmatrelvir/ritonavir)?
Who will be considered for Paxlovid™ (nirmatrelvir/ritonavir) treatment?
What if I believe an individual is eligible to receive Paxlovid™ (nirmatrelvir/ritonavir) treatment and needs expedited consideration for treatment?
Who can prescribe and dispense Paxlovid™ (nirmatrelvir/ritonavir)?
How can I confirm that a designated prescriber prescribed Paxlovid™ (nirmatrelvir/ritonavir)?
Pharmacists are also welcome to call the COVID-19 Non-Severe Therapy Pharmacist Consult Service at 1-833-714-2784 between 9 am and 5 pm, 7 days a week if they have COVID-19 antiviral medication or drug interaction questions.
Budesonide Use for the Treatment of Covid-19
PANS Prescribing Inhaled Budesonide for Treatment of Covid-19 Brief Training Video (optional 12 minute training video)
NSCP Professional Memo - Prescribing Inhaled Budesonide for Covid-19 - May 10th
Pharmacists may now prescribe inhaled budesonide for the treatment of mild SARS-CoV-2 respiratory symptoms in accordance with the Standards of Practice: Prescribing Drugs, Appendix G – Prescribing for a Diagnosis Supported by a Protocol. Nova Scotia Health is looking to improve access to inhaled budesonide across the province given ongoing high rates of SARS-CoV-2 infection.
What does this new prescribing authority enable?
This authority enables pharmacists to prescribe inhaled budesonide for the treatment of mild SARS-CoV-2 respiratory symptoms when using the Nova Scotia Health Inhaled Budesonide Prescribing Protocol.
Can another protocol be used when prescribing inhaled budesonide for the treatment of mild SARS-CoV-2 respiratory symptoms?
Pharmacists can only prescribe inhaled budesonide for the treatment of SARS-CoV-2 when they do so in accordance with the Nova Scotia Health Inhaled Budesonide Prescribing Protocol. Please note:
Inhaled budesonide may only be prescribed by pharmacists for the treatment of SARS-CoV-2 (no other indications)
The dose for the treatment of SARS-CoV-2 is 800 mcg twice daily
Therapeutic substitutions for nebules, other inhaled corticosteroids, or oral/IV corticosteroids are not permitted within the protocol
What if I have questions about the use of inhaled budesonide in the treatment of mild SARS-CoV-2 respiratory symptoms?
Pharmacists are welcome to call the COVID-19 Non-Severe Therapy Pharmacist Consult Service at 1-833-714-2784 between 9 am and 5 pm, 7 days a week if they have COVID-19 medication or drug interaction questions, including questions about the inhaled budesonide prescribing protocol.
How do I respond to questions from my patients about Paxlovid™ (nirmatrelvir/ritonavir)?
Please see the Paxlovid™ (nirmatrelvir/ritonavir) Information and Resources notice for answers to frequently asked questions.