The main purpose for these medication reviews is to increase communication between pharmacists, patients and physicians. Medication reviews can help alleviate medical non-adherance and also gives the patient a chance to discuss any quiries they may have about their medications.
Basic Medication Review Service
Basic Medication Review Service (BMRS) take approximately 20 to 30 minutes to complete and is an insured service under all the Pharmacare Programs, except the Under 65 – LTC Program. All other patients may receive this service for a fee. Fees may vary by pharmacy.
To qualify for the program under Nova Scotia’s Pharmacare Program:
- The individual must be a beneficiary of a Nova Scotiaia Pharmacare Program, except the Under 65 – LTC Program.
- The beneficiary must agree with their pharmacist that they are a suitable candidate for the program &sign a consent form.
- The beneficiary must not reside in a nursing home or a home for special care.
- The beneficiary must meet with the pharmacist for an in-person consultation.
- The beneficiary must be taking 3 or more prescription medications that are used for the treatment of chronic conditions, and are covered by the Pharmacare Programs.
- The beneficiary must be provided with a comprehensive drug review list that is dated and authorized with the pharmacist’s and the patient’s signatures.
Advanced Medication Review Service
Advanced Medication Review Service (AMRS) takes approximately one and one-half hours to complete and is is aninsured service under the Nova Scotia Seniors‘ Pharmacare Program. All other patients may recieve the service for a fee. Fee may vary by Pharmacy.
To qualify for the program under Nova Scotia’s Pharmacare Program, beneficiaries must:
- Be beneficiaries of the Nova Scotia Seniors’ Pharmacare Program.
- Agree with their pharmacist that they are a suit able candidate for the program.
- Not reside in a nursing home or home for special care.
- Be taking 4 or more prescription medications; OR taking one of the following:
- Have at least one of the following diseases:
- Congestive heart failure
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease