For your safety and the safety of others: Sharps should only be placed in a Safe Sharps Container.
- DO NOT put needles, syringes or lancets in plastic bottles or jugs.
- DO NOT put needles, syringes or lancets in garbage or recycling bags.
- DO NOT flush needles, syringes or lancets down the toilet.
- DO NOT burn needles, syringes or lancets.
This program does not include used sharps from medical, dental or veterinary clinics, home care professionals, intravenous drug users, or farms. To properly dispose of these types of sharps, please contact your respective professional association.
For more information contact: RRFB Nova Scotia at 1-877-313-7732 (RRFB), your community pharmacy, the Canadian Diabetes Association, or a local Diabetes Centre.
Please follow these steps to safely dispose of syringes, needles, and lancets.
- Pick up a free Safe Sharps container at your community pharmacy or Canadian Diabetes Association (CDA) Supply Centre.
- Place your used syringes, needles and lancets into the Safe Sharps container.
- When the container is almost full, seal the lid.
- Return the sealed container to your community pharmacy or CDA Supply Centre.
Used sharps must be handled properly. Do not put used sharps in plastic bottles or jugs for disposal. Also, do not place sharps in recycling or garbage bags as they may harm people handling garbage and recyclables. Needlestick injuries from used sharps may cause infections or diseases.
The Safe Sharps program is funded by Nova Scotia’s pharmacies, sharps manufacturers and medication distributors. For more information, please contact your local pharmacy.
Note: The Safe Sharps program does not include used sharps from medical, dental or veterinary clinics, home care professionals or farms. To properly dispose of these types of sharps, please contact your respective professional association. Sharps generated by intravenous drug users are not included in the program, but can be disposed of or exchanged at one of the following locations:
Mainline Needle Exchange,
5511 Cornwallis St,
(902) 423-9991 or Toll-free: (877) 904-4555
Sharp Advice Needle Exchange (S.A.N.E),
150 Bentinck St,